Finding Rest For Your Soul
Soul rest is a deep, all consuming rest we feel in our mind, soul and body which restores all these areas of our lives to their created levels.
Signs you lack soul rest…
1) physical fatigue
2) a lost hunger for God’s word
3) feelings of being far from God
4) no desire to serve others
6) feelings of vague uncertainty
“When our innate human restlessness collides with the digital age and a culture of accomplishment and accumulation, the result is an epidemic of emotional unhealth and spiritual death.”
John Mark Comer
“We have to arrange our lives to where sin no longer looks good to us.”
1. Invitation, v. 28
The kinds of people who are invited to Him…
a) labor to grow weary, tired or exhausted because of toil, burdens or grief.
b) heavy laden- those bearing a burden or heavy load
rest- to cause or permit one to cease from any movement or labor in order to collect their strength.
2. Submission, v. 29
“The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, so do and observe what ever they tell you but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice. They tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.”
3. Transformation, v. 29
Jesus describes himself in two ways…
a) gentle mildness of disposition, gentleness of spirit
b) lowly- of low degree, not rising far from the ground.
1. Do you experience soul rest?
2. What, if anything, would change in your life if you developed the habit
of coming to Jesus?
3. What weighs heaviest on you these days?
4. Who or what do you submit to? Do you find submission difficult?
5. What one question do you want to ask as a result of what you heard this